1. Be willing to make sacrifices. I'm not saying you should build an altar (although that would be quite a feat). When you have a job, there are personal sacrifices you have to make. If all your friends are going to a football game but you are scheduled to work, you have to be loyal to your employer. Sure, scanning cereal boxes isn't your ideal way to spend a Friday night, but it will teach you to be responsible. God often calls us to sacrifice our desires for His demands. Romans 12:1 says, "Offer your body as a living sacrifice to God." If you have made a promise to your employer, God will hold you to that promise. Keep Him at the forefront of everything you do and don't compromise -- people are watching you to see how Christians act.
2. Work hard. A good work ethic won't only help you grow your wallet, but it will also help you grow as a person. God calls us to "be diligent, for it brings wealth" (Proverbs 10:4). Who doesn't like wealth? God doesn't offer a get-rich-quick scheme like some Christians believe, but He does esteem those who work hard.
3. Serve. The idea of being a servant doesn't sound pleasant, but even the most highly regarded people in history referred to themselves as servants of others. (US President John F. Kennedy recognized his duty to serve his country rather than requiring that his country serve him.) Paul, who wrote 13 books in the Bible, called himself a servant of the Lord. Jesus even washed the dirty feet of his disciples (yuck!) to show that He came to serve. In Galatians 5:13, Paul tells us to "serve one another in love". When you have a job, you are serving the customers and your boss. Ask God to give you a servant's heart and help you be a blessing to those around you.
5. Don't conform. In Romans 12:2, Paul warns us to not conform to the ways of the world. When your coworkers cuss or gossip, don't go along with it. Galatians 5:22-26 outlines the "fruits of the spirit" -- qualities that will help you succeed not only in your job, but in your relationships and your life. Be patient, treat people with kindness, and work with a joyful heart.
6. Dedicate it to God. Colossians 3:17 says, "Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him." After each day of work, thank God for giving you your job and ask Him to help you continue working in a way that pleases Him.
What tips do you have to share? Leave a comment!