Girls, you may wonder what the point of dressing modestly is. You may think, What's the big deal? Why should I be modest? Here are five reasons.
- Be modest for you. You can be modest and still be stylish. Wear clothes that flatter you and cover you. This shows others that you know you are worth it, that you know you are valuable. Dressing modestly sends a clear message that you respect yourself, and also demands respect from others.
- Be modest for the girls. If you are modest, it shows other girls that it can be done, that you can be modest and still look great. Dressing modestly tells them that it's worth it - that they are worth it.
- Be modest for the guys. When you wear revealing or provocative clothes, you are a stumbling block for all the males who see you. Don't even try to tell me "they shouldn't be looking." If there's something to look at, it is your very own fault. Don't cause the guys to stumble. There are those out there who want to stay pure, who aren't looking at girls all the time. Let's help them out.
- Be modest for Prince Charming. Be pure for your future husband. He is waiting for the one and he will notice a girl who respects herself and the guys enough to dress modestly. Be ready for your Prince Charming - he will love that you waited. There are husbands who, indifferent as they are to any words about God, will be captivated by your life of holy beauty. -1 Peter 3:2
- Be modest for Him. God loves you beyond what you could ever imagine, and he understands your full worth. Your body is the temple of Holy Spirit. Doesn't it deserve all the respect you can give it? Your Heavenly Father specifically instructs you to be modest.
And I want women to get in there with the men in humility before God, not primping before a mirror or chasing the latest fashions but doing something beautiful for God and becoming beautiful doing it.
-1 Timothy 2:9-10 (the Message)
In like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works.
-1 Timothy 2:9-10 (NKJ)
This post was written by GFG reader Michaela. Check out her purity-focused blog here.