Headed to the swimming pool or beach? Tired of dry, chlorinated hair or skin? Wondering how you should do your hair and makeup? Make a splash with our top tips for looking and feeling great in the water this summer.
Protection from Chlorine
Chlorine is a cleaning chemical found in pools which can do some major damage on your hair, leaving it dry and brittle.
- Rinse your hair with cool water before you get in the pool. Your hair will soak up this clean water instead of the pool water.
- Rinse your hair when you leave the pool. This time, use shampoo and conditioner as normal to wash out the chlorine.
While you're soaking up some Vitamin D, make sure you're staying safe from early wrinkles, sunburns, and skin cancer.
- After swimming, sprinkle clean water over your skin, focusing on your arms. Use gentle body spray or lotion in your favorite scent to replenish the moisture lost to the sun or chlorine.
- Use sunblock of at least 30 SPF and reapply every hour.
- Oversize sunglasses are not only chic, but they protect the sensitive skin around your eyes from the sun's harmful rays.
- Your lips can get burned, too, so slather on some lip balm with SPF.
- A big floppy sunhat will shield your face and hair. (It's super stylish, too.)
- If you get a sunburn, use aloe vera to soothe your skin.
When you're at the pool or beach, you should focus on having fun and not on your makeup. But if you feel like you need a little extra coverage in the water, here are some easy tips.
- Use waterproof mascara only when you're near water because it can dry out your lashes.
- Use a tinted moisturizer with SPF to even out your skin tone.
- If you must wear blush, opt for the cream variety -- they won't wash away as quickly.
- A pretty lip balm or gloss with SPF gives you a perfect poolside pout.
You can leave your hair down, or pull it away from your face with these ideas.
- A simple ponytail is a classic poolside look.
- Beachy waves are super low-maintenance.
- A side braid is unexpectedly stylish.
- A quick bun or updo is great when you plan on keeping your hair dry.