5.1.09

Chapstick

Sometimes we underestimate that little tube. It works wonders -- really, it does. Sometimes we use expensive lipstick and gloss and then wonder why are lips look like they've been through a shark's jaws. Chapstick can sometimes seem...well, boring. Unwanted. Plain. Out. Childish.

I remember when I got my first Chapstick. It was cherry flavored. I was...hmm...maybe 4. I got it for Christmas, and not only my first Chapstick but also my first "makeup" (though it isn't makeup at all). I was so excited. I called it my "lipstick" and took it everywhere that I could. I felt so grown up. The weird thing? I still have it. You heard me. Nine years later and it's still in my drawer.

You should ALWAYS have Chapstick on hand. My youth leader said if she was going to go to war or something and could only bring 10 things, Chapstick would be one of them. "I've been without Chapstick before," she told me, "and I'll never be without it again." Keep it in your purse, in your bathroom, on your desk, whatever.

What does Chapstick really do for your lips? When your lips are dry, chapped, crackes, flaky, sunburned, whatever -- Chapstick works to improve your lips' texutre, resulting in smooth, lush, soft lips. It can even bring out the natural color of your lips because it is so hydrating.

Lip skin is sensitive and you should try to find something with at least 15 SPF (Sun Protection Factor) sunscreen in it, if you are outside a lot.

Other brands you can try are Softlips & Blistex. Find the one that works for you!

5 comments :

  1. Be careful, some chapsticks are phonies and actually dry out your lips so you'll keep buying more of that brand. *gasp*
    Also Carmex (my mom's addicted to it) deteriorates the muscles in you lips. (my cousin's band director says)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer Carmex. I have one at home, one in my desk, and even one in my car.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone has told me that lip products containing lanolin are good for short-term shine and whatnot, but will eventually do the opposite of what you want. I would not, however, take this as professional advice, because this was only one person. Same with Carmex (they need to update their containers). I would seek more professional advice or try it for yourself and get your own results.
    The products that do harm on your lips actually strip the top layer of skin from your lips, forcing you to use more in order to solve the problem. The problem is solved for the meantime, but soon it will come back.
    True Chapstick brand will NOT do this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great tips! I've tried Chapstick, Blistex, and Softlips. So far Softlips has worked best for me. I'm also wondering about Burts Bees. I've heard some good things about it and some bad. I'm not sure which one is true, so I was wondering what you thought. Thanks!
    ~Carly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carly! I really love Burts Bees. It's my favorite. You should try it! (:

      Delete

Got something to say? Share your thoughts with other teen girls and young women just like you. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I promise to respond! (:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...